This time last year, I started off with what I would like to call The Great Purge of 2016. I was reading Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and–like most people who read the book–I found myself having to part with boxes of clothes, books, bags, shoes, and other random things that I’ve been accumulating since…well…forever.
As good as I was with putting things into boxes, I wasn’t actually very good at doing anything with the boxes. They just stayed in storage for months because I didn’t have the time to take photos of the contents to sell them online. So when I saw a post on the Bonifacio Global City Facebook page about a garage sale in December, I immediately booked a spot.
So did I push through with it? Yes I did, and it was worth it! For starters, it doesn’t cost much (or depending on your needs, it doesn’t have to cost anything at all) to join. All BGC requires is a 500-peso deposit.
My brother and I shared a space. We didn’t have much time to prepare, so it wasn’t the best-looking setup, but it worked. I sold my preloved clothes, books, and bags, and I even gave away free CDs. My brother sold several pairs of slightly used sneakers, which flew like hotcakes, because no one else was selling stuff for men. He earned more than I did! I’m not complaining though; I managed to sell 80% of the things I brought, so it was time well spent for me.
If this sounds like something you think you should do, good news! There’s a Garage Sale coming up on Sunday, January 22, 8am-5pm at the De Jesus Oval. Details on how to sign up are at the end of this post.
If you’re looking to join the Garage Sale, here are some tips to get you ready:
- Consider sharing a space with a family member or friend so you can keep each other company during the day.
- Come early so you can choose a space you like. They’re not strict with the space size because there’s lots of ground to share at the Oval.
- Have at least one person with you so someone can watch over your items as you do your ingress/egress, or when you have to go the restroom! There aren’t any parking slots available in De Jesus Oval, so you can only bring in your vehicle to drop off/pick up your stuff.
- If you’re selling clothes, bring sturdy clothes racks and lots of hangers.
- Bring your own tables and chairs. A lawn chair is comfortable if you’ll be there the whole day. You may also want to bring your own tent if you want to sit in the shade.
- Bring food, snacks, and drinks to keep you energized.
- If you’re a music lover, you may want to bring a Bluetooth speaker to play some music in your corner.
- Go to your bank the day before to get small bills (20s, 50s, 100s) for change. You’ll need them!
- Wear something light and comfortable.
- Put on a smile and meet the neighbors!
It’s not too late to join the Garage Sale this Sunday. Visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Jan22MyStreet to sign up. Even if you’re not planning on selling anything, drop by anyway–you might be surprised with the bargains and treasures you’ll find. Happy selling/shopping!